Friday, August 22, 2008

Definition Essay: “Comfort…”



The Lord is my shepherd; I have everything I need.” – Psalms 23:1.


“… There is no life – no life without its hunger;

Each restless heart beats so imperfectly,

But when you come and I am filled with wonder;

Sometimes, I think I glimpse eternity…” – an excerpt from You Raised Me Up by Josh Groban


Comfort. Comfort was defined in Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary as a strengthening aid: 1a: assistance, support, b: solace. 2a: a feeling of relief or encouragement, b: contented well-being. 3a: a satisfying or enjoyable experience. 4a: one that gives or bring comfort. 5: to give strength and hope to cheer. 6: console. On my own understanding of comfort, I define it as an unexplainable feeling felt by someone when another person shows concern or care for him or her. Comfort for me is also a feeling of satisfaction, relaxation and the like.


Comfort has different kinds. In the definitions provided by Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary, they emphasized five key words to show the kinds of comfort. The first one is assistance. Assistance occurs when someone helps you in times of need. Once there was a friend of mine having a problem in a particular subject that if he doesn’t do well in the next quiz, he may flunk the subject, hence, causing him to feel embarrassed. I somehow know that I do good in this particular subject, so I offered my service to tutor him. After he got his results he happily told me that he passed the subject and thanked me for being a good friend. The second one is solace. You feel solace when you are assured and feel calm in times of trouble. Once I have this friend who became my mortal enemy, I’m always disturbed with what she’s been saying to me. One day, I felt sick of our situation that I personally approached her and asked for forgiveness for every wrong doing I have done. I don’t know if she forgave me already but I know that I did. Forgiving her has given me a clear and peaceful conscience. The third one is support. You feel supported when a friend of yours defends you from an enemy. One example of this is in our peer group. We are so close that we would know if one of us has a problem. A friend of ours was having a problem against our professor. She was really disturbed when our professor gave her an unjustifiable grade and always make fun of her in our class. So as her friends, we confronted our professor and asked him for his explanation why he was harsh on her. Because of that, our friend regained her composure and knew how much we really love her. The fourth one is cheer. You feel cheered when a person tries to uplift your low spirit. There is a friend of mine that had a problem accepting things openly. As an optimistic person, I try to show her the positive side of things that she’s dealing with. She laughs at my actions but I hope she gets what my action means. The last one, console, is felt when a person soothes or calms the grief of somebody who is experiencing depression in life. A few days ago, my childhood friend’s mother died. Knowing that she was really close to her mother, she’s experiencing deep sorrow. My company somehow uplifts her spirit because she knows that she’s with her childhood friend who has been with her ever since she was a kid.


Generally, comfort is a feeling that gives a person security, confidence, safety and protection. Being comforted is a great way for a person to feel that he’s not alone.

No comments: